9.19.2008

{red,blue,green}


true story: tonight i pulled together the papers i have been hording to start laying out my next journal. i have been collecting various scraps of this color paper and that printed paper since i finished making my last journal and some of the pieces were literally purchased over four years ago. only after i set aside the ones that simply had to be in the journal did i realize the color palette i have been unconsciously constructing across the years.

yes, you guessed it.

there, sprawled out on my art room floor is: red. blue. green.

where my current journal is battered and over-sized, this one will be pristine and contained. where the old one is soft and pastel, this one will be bold and saturated.

this photo doesn't even begin to do the red paper justice. it's a gorgeous crimson that had me lusting for it the first time i saw it at the paper store in st. louis. the alphabet paper {next to the dark blue} is a record sleeve that was floating around the record bin in my favorite new york city thrift store {salvation army on west 8th just a little east of 6th avenue}. i bought a record just so i could slip this piece of paper into my box and take it home. most of it was already used once on a journal i made for someone else, but i have just enough left to get one page for my own.

so here we are, full circle.

videotape has featured prominently in my life this past year and as much as it has marked endings, tearing and painful, it has also called me forward into my self and my vibrancy. so, here is to my future, and all the bold colors that will unfold in my next years of writing/loving/living.

when i'm at the pearly gates
this'll be on my videotape
my videotape

when mephistopheles is just beneath
and he's reaching up to grab me

this is one for the good days
and i have it all here
in red blue green
red blue green

you are my centre when i spin away
out of control on videotape
on videotape

this is my way of saying goodbye
because i can't do it face to face

no matter what happens now
i won't be afraid
because i know today has been the most perfect day i've ever seen.

currently listening to: videotape - radiohead

No comments: