9.30.2008

and the only thing that's keeping me from going off the deepest deep end at work today

good ole' thom.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUEwrwINSfY&NR=1

"music is about triggering memories for people"

i have to think on that one. interesting. i hadn't heard him say that nor had i linked how i resonate in music {particularly radiohead's} and how i explore/cling to/savor my memories. as their music carries me further and further into my life, certain songs will always liken back to specific memories even as they make the present more alive.

since my new iphone isn't broken and the extra text message rings are apart of the update i received with downloading 2.1, i would almost consider the 30 minutes i spent at the apple store last friday as a bust. except. i spent most of that 30 minutes talking to a worker/fellow radiohead fan about the band. she asked me what my favorite album was and i couldn't answer. each carries with it such particular memories and songs of vibrancy and inspiration that i just can't choose. my one impulse was to say in rainbows but only because that is of the moment. it is creating memories to tether to the vibrations it creates in me and i am more conscious of that process now than i was with hail to the thief or the eraser. this year has carried with it several distinct emotional journeys and the album helped grid and define that process in a unique way.



............actually, i think i have thought more about this link between their music and memory than i previously assumed. i remember blogging after the first performance of the man who came to dinner. i wanted to listen to radiohead, but i deliberately choose their new song super collider. i needed it because it is a radiohead song, so it could carry me in my post-performance state like the surface of a wave, but at the same time, it was a song clean of memories/associations. it was a song that resonated just in the present and the present was all i wanted to hear and feel at that moment. the present was enough.



currently listening to: youtube interviews of thom yorke

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree with his statement on principles! It does provoke an interesting perspective.

nathania tenwolde said...

funny, i remember liking what he was saying about principles, but then it got completely overshadowed by the one statement about memory. memory is a huge life-theme for me, so my mind just went sprinting ahead (hence the blog entry). i don't anticipate work being any more fun tomorrow, so i'll have to have this one replay in the background while i try to keep my blood pressure reasonable.