10.28.2008

no surprises

i just found out i'll have to move out. soon. very very soon. i want to curl up and cry. i love my space. i love my space. i love my space. i can't even explain how much i have been happy there in my two rooms. how perfect i have tended and arranged them. my yellow room and my blue room. a little perch on the top floor with sunlight galore and not two but three closets for my art and clothes and photo albums. it was made to order and i have to leave.


this feels wrong. this feels like the universe gone awry. for the second time this year i feel like everything is spinning contrary to my intuitive understanding of the right & true path.

how am i off course again?

why is it always out of my control?



a heart that's full up like a landfill,
a job that slowly kills you,
bruises that won't heal.
you look so tired-unhappy,
bring down the government,
they don't, they don't speak for us.
i'll take a quiet life,
a handshake of carbon monoxide,

with no alarms and no surprises,
no alarms and no surprises,
no alarms and no surprises,
no alarms and no surprises,
silent silent.

this is my final fit,
my final bellyache,

with no alarms and no surprises,
no alarms and no surprises,
no alarms and no surprises please.

such a pretty house
and such a pretty garden.

no alarms and no surprises (get me outta here),
no alarms and no surprises (get me outta here),
no alarms and no surprises, please.





currently listening to: no surprises, gagging order & wolf at the door - radiohead
lyrics: no surprises - radiohead

2 comments:

bha said...

I feel like this song is my anthem - as far as hating a standard, corporate-funded life goes. Also the Glockenspiel wins every time.

Did you just move into that place pretty recently? I guess the best things don't last.

nathania tenwolde said...

well, i just love pretty much any version of this song, but there is something lushly emotional about the way he sings this one, particularly live, that always surprises me. there is something just that little extra bit of raw, even for good ole' thom. and then the line about the garden and house just hit home.

yes, i've only been at my current place 9 months. boooh. but there is still a chance i'll get to stay. everything is up in the air, which, i think is worse.