11.04.2008

a day of such magnitude


it started at the polls at 7am. the little old ladies had made all these homemade goodies. i got my ballot and before i could even fill in the bubble next to his name, i paused.

for a good second or two.

and held my breath at the importance of one little blackened oval.

then i filled it in with a smile and a quickened heart.

later in the afternoon i picked up a broken sand dollar that lives by my computer at work. turning it over i happened to look inside: tightly folded up, was a note in my best friend's handwriting. "today is the day" - eden. she had planted the little scrap of blue paper months ago so that i could find it at the perfect moment. and it gave me so much hope that today is that moment. THE DAY. as well as every subsequent day for eight years.

No comments: