3.13.2011

never let me go


a movie hasn't broken my heart like this in a while. i still can't make sense of it all--or not in a way that doesn't simply contain spoilers. but it was flawless. nothing wasted. so many perfect moments. so deep and powerful and churning i never even spent a second being envious of the actors lucky enough to tell such an incredible, elegant and heartbreakingly beautiful story.

it makes me think of my friend and her time in india--how the caste system has relegated individuals to living in houses made of cardboard and tarps and no one is even asking whether or not it's humane. it makes me think of true love. missed connections. made connections. requiting the unrequited. it makes me long, which connects me to be-longing. it makes me think of art and how it's the evidence of a soul--my soul. it makes me ask if i am living my life enough. if i am grateful enough for how much freedom i've been given.

and it makes me want to go out, buy the dvd and watch it on repeat at least twice in a row.

and of all the myriad thoughts, emotions, responses, words i have rustling around in response, what i most want to give you i can't seem to find. it's a quiet long shot of the two main characters sitting together in silence on the bridge. they've just said to each other {roughly}:

we should go.

yes.

and then the camera slowly pulls away leaving you to watch them still sitting there not moving and not saying anything either.

the image was taken away and turned into the movie poster of the two running down said bridge which is completely contrary to what the movie is about and even the way their story is told. {bah! advertising decisions.}

anyway, i leave you with these two images {a much more appropriate movie poster is pictured above}: two movie stills that embody some of the spirit of the movie that lingers with me still. but you should go see it and discover it for yourself.


1 comment:

Sahra said...

agreed on all counts. i have watched the moved at least 3 times now (& read the book twice) and it 'kills' me every time. That last sill in your post is one of the frames from the beach that have been burned in my mind.