3.20.2011

date night

a little black cloud perched on my shoulder last night releasing words of discouragement at the pace of a steady drizzle. it started before i went to bed, hounded me through my insomnia and maintained a steady presence just behind my right shoulder all day today.

much like the beginning of the year i found myself weighed down by my body and spirit's attempts at fighting my fragility. and the same solution presented itself: spend a day away. turn off the cell phone. get away from people and obligations and to do lists. re-integrate yourself.

since that isn't an option in the next day or so, the idea of a date night by myself presented itself. take myself out to dinner, go to a couple of fun stores like the art store and elliot bay book store, treat yourself, be creative.

so i did.

what a perfect way to spend the night.

first, a leisurely snack. a detour through a chapter or two of my newest guilty pleasure read {soon to be supplanted by never let me go}. a long shower. shaving my legs {the first time i've attempted that since pulling my back out of line. it's a long way down to my ankles on a good day and an unspannable if i can't lean over}. a walk into capitol hill {also a first in a week and a half}. a copy of never let me go without keira knightly on the cover {as much as i loved the movie, i want it to stand apart}. a postcard for a very dear friend. dinner for one at boom noodle. vietnamese salad. yumm. dessert evidently mandatory: molly moons chocolate raspberry sorbet with a waffle cone and hot fudge we'll pretend didn't have milk in them. a detour through the drug store on the way home to pick up supplies for the flock installation {we're getting closer to more details on my collaborative birthday project...} and a meander through the bubble bath isle. couldn't decide between vanilla, coconut & tangerine and rose geranium citrus so i went with both. they'll both get used. and who can't use extra of both time out and harmony which is what these flavors profess to create.

then, a walk back home under the super full moon and a night of radiohead's new album {which came out last full moon} and painting. finally, painting.

the cloud seems to be gone. good riddance.

No comments: