8.06.2009

a part standing in for a whole

i committed an act of sacrilege tonight.
i didn't finish a movie.
and not just any movie, but a charlie kaufman movie.
synecdoche, new york
{random note: blogspot spell check doesn't know the word synecdoche, pronounced suh-NECK-dough-key}

anyway, i decided half way through that i would rather spend the subsequent hour of my life just hanging out with the person next to me than finding out what happens to these people in this story i don't really care about. luckily he agreed and also found me more interesting than the characters parading about amongst jarring leaps in timeline and a depressing string of events. not much contest, i guess, but i still won out.

so there.

i flaunt my act of cinematic treason here and a couple of hours later, find myself not regretting the decision one iota.

2 comments:

Mark L said...

Hello again, Nat..... I'm back from AK and just thought I'd leave a comment as a way of saying hello after briefly checking in to your blog after a few months away.

This is not an act of sacrilege, it's just good judgement. That poor film was a total muddle, I thought. Anybody can take a wrong turn now and again, even Charlie, I guess. Unfortunately, I was stuck in a theater. I can't believe I watched the whole thing!

Hope all's well and that the Meisner final was good for you.

nathania tenwolde said...

well mark, thank you for your note as a well of "hello again" and for reaffirming our {evidently good} judgment call. it was one of those decisions that was nagging me in that i wasn't sure if there would have been some hugely redeeming moment of the movie toward the end where suddenly everything would have made sense and come into focus.

evidently that was not the case.

thanks for checking in with the blog. i appreciate the loyalty and i'm taking it to mean i'm not as self indulgent as the mean voices in my head sometimes try to whisper.

meisner final. good. my eyebrows pull into that bittersweet sort of good. i still want/need to write about that experience.

cheers,

n