5.29.2009

into the thick of SIFF

a longerishish day smearing into the early hours of friday morning.
it began with a broken glass, followed up with a broken mug {one of my favorites of the large soup tureen-sized cups i like to guzzle tea from} and finished off with a cake catastrophe and one lost earring. i don't break things, particularly not two in one day, and i don't lose things. especially not one of my favorite earrings {though recently a whole pair has evaporated along with one of my favorite pairs of underwear--humpf}.

but, i saw my third film at the festival, and the first that i went to see without working some event around it, and i fell in love with yet another filmmaker {the second of the festival, third, if you include the actor from in the loop}.

i'm so alive with the festival, awake in the wee hours of the morning repeatedly. and if it's not because i have some event to attend/work until late it's because i'm in bed but too wired about the previous or next day to go to sleep right away. i'm just happy to go in each day. happy to work. happy to see this inside peek of the film industry on a daily basis.

and i want to write more. want to share the glow of what's going on, write about spike lee passing through, write about this gutsy/beautiful/colorful/alive/quirky/gritty film i just saw tonight. but it's 2am. and i'm beat.

at a few minutes shy of 1am i realized where and when i lost my earring: in front of the movie theater. heading into the restaurant next door to meet up with my classmate who was going to join me something had brushed my foot. i spent a few moments at the time looking at the pavement trying to figure out what had hit my foot but didn't notice anything.

that thing was my earring. one of my favorite earrings to boot. and you can bet your bee's that after the lovely chat we had with carmo, hit the road's director, murilo pasta, i would be too jittery to go to sleep right away, particularly if my mind was obsessing about the whereabouts of my earring, so back i drove and viola! there it was shining in the dim light of queen anne avenue. happy endings all.

well, almost. i still have a cake to doll up tomorrow morning because i burned the outside and had to tear apart the springform pan to get to it {which should be added to the list of the day's casualties}. luckily i've enlisted the help of icing galore and an over sized clam shell of raspberries. the broken tea cup still makes the corners of my mouth turn down, but i'll live. quite happily for now.

No comments: