11.22.2011

nomad nights return {119-120 & 127-135}

in a lovely bit of symmetry, i find myself retracing my path and revisiting the first two places i spent my nomadic nights in, but in reverse. last weekend found me in the same spot i spent nights 7 to 9 and this next week i'm sleeping in the same bed i spent those first 6 nights.

i remember that last day in my apartment and first night completely cut free and alone....the anxiety around moving my heirloom bookcase with glass doors, the stress of day in general, that final load of all my lovely things, closing the door of #44 for the last time as mine, saying goodbye to my moving crew {of dear friends who put up so well with said stress} until it was just my mom and brother who lovingly witnessed me crying by the curb of the magnolia house that has so wonderfully stored these things since. the sloughing off. the irrevocable starting of a new phase.

and here i am, about to enter the final pages of my nomadic life and very gently being reminded by this symmetry to look back and mark my progress. it was lovely having lindsey jo here this weekend {for so many reasons but also} to reflect back the changes i have made since she last saw me this summer, in the weeks before the cleanse, before the move and before everything shifted. i think it can be summed up in one sentence she said: you're less type-a.


hallelujah! sweet progress.

this time has allowed me to relax about cleanliness, relax about needing a perfect space, perfect quiet, perfect boundaries. it has allowed me to go with the flow, save significant amounts of money {some to be spent on further nomadic adventures in europe!}, explore new neighborhoods to jog in {covington, discovery park, green lake, ravenna, hawaii} and generally learn to go with the flow. be more gracious toward myself and others.

and now i'm planning my ultimate nomadic experience: a month in europe traveling from country to country, adventuring, playing, letting go, letting free. spending a month not working nor searching for a job for the first time in years. and as much as i know it will be hard to come home again from that, there will also be the excitement of seeking out and finding my next home and that puttering joy around making it my own.




dear, home, my next one...you are close to me tonight. i feel a tenderness toward you and even find myself on craigslist looking for you knowing you won't be appearing just yet. not yet.

soon, but not yet.


nights 119 & 120 back in the sammamish highlands.

nights 127 to 135 back in magnolia...
this room has gone through some nice changes.


~nomad nate, writing from magnolia, seattle.

................................................................................................................................................................................
................................................................................................................................................................................




and this is the blog's 800th post. happy 800! and thank you all for following along.

No comments: