6.21.2010

a few words

the first word:
epoch.
it came to me in the middle of an early saturday morning.
i couldn't sleep.
restless with the knowledge that things were about to change, and not sure exactly where to rest myself in the meantime.
excited.
thinking.
and unfortunately not sleeping until 3:30 or 4:00 in the morning.

at some point in my restless tossing and turning and iphone sudoku playing, i checked my email and found the word epoch staring back at me. and while i'm quite familiar with definitions two and three, it is one that stood out as new and relevant to me.

epoch \EP-uhk\, noun:

1. the beginning of a distinctive period in the history of anything.
2. a particular period of time marked by distinctive features or events.
3. a memorable date.

here i am, a few weeks later, trying to keep my flagging spirits up as i begin the search for a new apartment. i have high standards and too low of an income to find what i want easily. what i'm looking for seems about double my current budget.

but i digress into self pity.

the second word:
ruth.
which also happens to be my middle name, defined here with another surprising amount of relevance.

ruth \ROOTH\, noun:

1. compassion or pity for another.
2. sorrow or misery about one's own misdeeds or flaws.
3. in the bible, a moabite woman who married boaz and became an ancestor of david: the daughter-in-law of naomi.
4. book of the bible bearing her name.
5. a female given name.


No comments: