2.25.2010

crossing 520

this bridge has a special place in my memory as it featured prominently
in a dream of mine from several years ago.

in the dream the water lashed out at us as we crossed an empty highway
on foot. sneaker waves attacking us from the sides trying to pull us in.

in the dream we made it safely to the other side in a strange fast
forward fashion that only happens in sleep no matter how fast we think
time is flying.

but, in real life, we didn't make it and the bodies of what could have
been were carried to their watery death not long after the dream came
to me.

the experience as a whole, meant to be written out in a song, has so
far only come to me as a chorus:

sneaker waves won't let me be
a collision course in eucatastrophe
sweep me up and lock me in
hold me down and keep me thin

and for some reason, the photo evokes a dreamlike quality that brings
it all back.

No comments: