7.12.2008

the south draws me home

and i really can't say it better than sally mann:


flannery o’conner said the south is christ-haunted, but i say it’s death-haunted. the pictures i took on those awestruck, heartbreaking trips down south were pegged to the familiar corner posts of my conscious being: memory, loss, time, and love. the repertoire of the southern artist has long included place, the past, family, death and dosages of romance that would be fatal to most contemporary artists.


i had never thought of myself as a southern artist until i read those words. i am a good one for remembering and i remember so much of my childhood. i live in those spaces of the past and what they mean for my present and future and that is why i will always be a southern artist. because these definitive moments happened in small town alabama and it doesn't matter how long it's been since i've visited my hometown in three dimensional space, i will always be living out the legacy of my childhood there.



currently listening to: my aunt on her viola and my uncle at the grand piano.

No comments: