7.25.2008

the dark knight

this movie was so much more than i thought it was going to be. for me. personally. and not just the expected the artist envy of: god, maggie gyllenhall is moving up in the world and acting opposite christian bale.

it was more. and grounded in a theme i am finding in movies that is devastating. empire of the sun. donnie darko. the lord of the rings. they all have this one thing that levels me completely every time. i can't even start on it now. at midnight. still raw.

then on top of that whole mess, you have the artist envy of what heath ledger was able to accomplish with the waggle of one finger at times and the lurch of his entire body at others. and as though the above weren't enough there's the icing on the cake: maggie gyllenhall. not even gorgeous or glamorous or anything. just maggie. and that's enough.

3 comments:

2WeeMonsters said...

I know. It's amazing! I really thought I'd be distracted by Heath Ledger but he so completely owns that performance that in spite of everything, you forget you're watching Heath Ledger within 2 minutes and get completely absorbed in Joker. :)

bha said...

I had to sit there for awhile as if it was a heavy meal after the first time. And I caught so many other things the second time around! Just awesome.

nathania tenwolde said...

my first response was to just be angry. pissy. i bitched at ross (my little brother) and was getting worked up until i realized i was dealing with a huge onslaught of unexpected responses. so then i sat there, as the rest of the group filed out and waited through all of the credits and sat in the weight of the movie and the performances and the experience.

my one huge gripe was there wasn't enough batman/christian bale.

still processing everything this movie meant to me. want to see the first and then watch this one again at the imax.