7.11.2008

elevation 7,500 ft

i'm already in love with this space. my aunt and uncle own a glorious house that feels much like a big kid's tree house. so many windows, wood everywhere with open spaces and sky and trees. very similar to their last house that was perched above lake sammamish, washington. they have generously opened their space to me for the next five (and spare change) days to sit down and focus on a handful of projects that just keep on getting put aside back home.

the main goal is to write. i have a grant proposal i need to research and edit and i want to hack into my blog a bit and finish recording my experience of my grandfather's burial. i intend to branch out from the funeral to recording my memories in general. one of the primary themes of my artwork is the exploration of family history, personal history, loss, and memory, and the point at which these things all intersect. i have been playing with these ideas visually for years and want to begin tapping into a new way of entering that thought space. written words have played an important role since mid high school when i began journaling. there is something unique about the process of writing down thoughts that opens new connections and spaces inside me and i am ready to do that with my art and my personal history.

i also need to apply for new jobs and do a hefty chunk of acting homework. but a scene that once intimidated the hell out of me is suddenly cooking, so i'm uber motivated to go in further. get more specific. i have a lot of lines but luckily, not the bad hair that cher had in the 80's when she played this role (from moonstruck).

i am desperately trying not to fall too much in love with this house and the writing space. there is a loft bed on the second floor that would be a nice hideout if i decide to skip my plane and move in here. i'm sure my aunt would notice the addition of a permanent fixture of a niece in the corner of her office (see photo). but the view (see other photo) from the balcony inches from my current writing spot is quite enticing.

the only bugger currently is the altitude adjustment. i'm drinking water like the aussies down beer and i am still thirsty, though i've only been lightheaded once. my uncle, an anesthesiologist and mountain climber (think big mountains - really really big mountains), approved me to go out and about on some or other hiking loop tomorrow and i'm looking forward to being outside with these panoramic views. my aunt is charmingly conscientious about how much time i spend "away" from the projects i came here to work on, but i'm not too worried. i've only really been here 7 hours, plus or minus, and already feel like this is going to be a spectacular trip.





currently listening to: birds, crickets, the wind in the aspens.

No comments: