2.10.2012

the apartment hunt

i really wanted to like the apartment tucked away between the 15th and 19th street shops. the one with the great building manager, the coved ceilings, the really sweet parking situation. i really wanted to live on the grown-up side of capitol hill and discover the cafes i normally overlook. i really really wanted the steam heat included in the rent {a warm home to come to all year long....mmmmm} and not paying rent until the first week of march would have been nice. and i could have taken it. i was the first in line. i had priority even as the second wave of prospective tenants came through as i lingered in indecision -- the manager promised me dibs.

but i couldn't do it. i could not reconcile myself to even the limited counter space's worth of tacky green countertop, couldn't accept the carpet in the bedroom that i mostly would have covered up with my area rug anyway, couldn't accept the weirdly painted red pipe in the bathroom and the linoleum in the kitchen that would have quietly grated on my nerves each time i crossed the threshold. sure, there were original 1920's light fixtures that were gorgeous, hardwood floors in the main living space and a walk-in closet to make you weep, but it comes down to the details for me. my heart has to sing into all corners of a space i inhabit. i have to be able to resonate no matter where i in my home.

that's why i went with the other apartment. the one that might be a pain to park nearby on friday nights, the one on the northwest end of capitol hill {exactly one mile west of the above apartment}, the one with beautiful hardwood floors throughout the space, a kitchen and bathroom i can easily get along with, windows shining light perfectly into the main spaces and a walk in closet that will suit my needs just fine.

so at 8:45pm tonight i handed over a few checks, my application and shook hands with the other amazing apartment manager who's bad day turned around when i came traipsing through at 6:30pm {he said something to the effect of me bringing some sunshine to his day}.

and now my heart is giddy. i sang in my shower tonight and stepped out thinking i get to have my beautiful towels again soon, and a real bath, and my books, and a place to putter around in, and my own KITCHEN, and a space to paint out all the inspiration i just absorbed in europe....

home.

i get to have my own home again after being estranged seven months. twice the length i had intended when i started this crazy adventure.


home.

we are so close.

cross your fingers and pray with me for good news on monday.






mine.
{though the photos don't do it justice}


1 comment:

John Z said...

Hehe, you and your walk-in closets. =)

Good luck on the apartment but I don't think you have anything to worry about.