9.03.2009

sharing a wall with the sky


my time here with the studio and the golden dome is coming to a close. after much heartache, two halves of a sleeping pill and a little black cloud that followed me around for exactly five days {a la eeyore}, we've put the security deposit down on the new place. my space has not so gently assured me it's time to move on, upgrade, and widen my field of view and so for the first time in days my spirit is resting quietly finally knowing we get the keys on the other side of this holiday weekend.

not so coincidentally my life is picking up in several areas at once and i feel myself going through a transition pretty well summed up in the metaphor of transitioning from the studio to the one bedroom. externally i'm leaving my little private haven of a studio with its peaceful view of an ivy colored brick wall and the many shades of blue washing across my lovely church dome. the new space is a floor higher, twice as big with extra closets to organize and share and the view across the six windows moves from a little peek of mount rainier to the south and then a sweeping view of the city, sound and olympic mountains. internally, i feel like i'm leaving an intense time of self-examination and personal growth. the distance i have covered hashing myself out in the meisner course is equivalent to lightyears of travel in the personal development dimension of the universe and it's time for me to open. open. open.

i've been very slowly moving my way through the book the soul's code by james hillman. as this is a psychology book, it's a little on the dense side, so i find a lot of benefit in simmering over the things i've read for a few days. the current quote rattling around in my brain is:

restless inquiry is not the only kind of knowing, self-examination not the only kind of awareness. appreciation of an image, your life story as studded with images since early childhood, and a deepening into them slows the restlessness of inquiry, laying to rest the fever and the fret of finding out.

i'm still putting together what this means for me in the coming months of living at the granada four blocks away, but i want to call foward a time of rest, a time of admiring the view and a time of seeing the bigger images of my life and letting them stand out in their beauty. i've been working so hard to get to the results of my art that i've missed out on the joy and life i take in making art. one step at a time, nathania. and breathe.

so, here's to our new place, where the sky and mountains will press up against our windows and our bodies will lean back in return.

......................................................


i only have the image from the new place
that was posted earlier this week.
while i wait for more, i thought i would honor the dome
and all it's glory before we part ways.
i do still have a project in mind involving the dome
i want to photograph it once or twice an hour throughout one day.
but the days left are numbered. i need to hop to it.

No comments: