9.24.2010

recovering a sense of safety - pt 3

as i wrap up the first week's exercises, i just want to finish up with one last activity. in slogging through all the ghosts of my past, i also want to acknowledge and honor all the amazing, life and art affirming influences i have experienced. thank you. thank you. thank you. and thank you again:

lindy--fiona's mom. she was the first person who took me, a 5 or 6 year old, seriously growing up and would call me nathania, instead of the hacked-up nick name i abhorred {and, you should note, still do}, tania.

mrs. tolsin--5th grade teacher who was the first person to encourage my writing. she selected my essay about laura ingles wilder to go to the region-wide writing competition and that was the only time i beat out anand periyadeth in anything that year.

mrs. landoni--6th grade teacher. she adored my drawings and even asked to keep my robin hood project which i saw on display years later when i went to visit her class.

mr. fram--8th grade advanced english teacher. he's here mostly for that look he would give me when i was on to something insightful. i could barely speak up in class at first, but his look...it just sparkled when i would bring up an idea from far left. we spent days on just two-pages of borges and there were only two or three of us even able to follow the ideas of the discussion. i was one of them. and i had recently skipped up from 7th grade. when did i stop being so insightful, or do i just hang out with more intelligent people now?

mr. jenes--10th grade english teacher. pretty much all the same things i just said about mr. fram, but even more so because now we were analyzing james joyce instead of borges and i was the only one speaking in class. he would talk to other teachers about me and in a good way. and, to be noted, in a simple class exercise he also helped me realize how much beauty is important to me. one of my top 3 things in life. he also strongly encouraged both my creative and analytical writing

mr. olson--the art troll. a fantastic fantastic art teacher. i had him for a few years in a row i think.

mrs. matthews--she was the first person who put a camera in my hands. she was subbing for the 7th grade science class and for some reason she picked me to take photos of clouds for the day's lesson. stratus. cumulus. they were my first photographs.

becky--she was a grad student teacher at wash u and i had her for my photo 1 and 2 classes. art school was tough freshman year but her classes most likely saved me from dropping out. they were easy in a way that the work just eased out of me. it was natural and fun. probably the reason i ended up majoring in photography.

greg--the modern lit teacher ellie and i took a class with in australia. he loved our writing, as different as it was.

my writing for film teacher--the way he never gave out compliments except the day he passed back my dialogue-less script. he mentioned how it didn't have any dialogue and i said "well, i don't know dialogue but i do know visual art and he replied "well this {and he tapped my script to his hand twice}, this is visual art..."

melody--my very first acting teacher who assumed i had acted before because i had such a presence.

nandi--for her golden, vibrant presence that believes in me from afar and i know always has and always will.

georgia--the dean of students at washington university art school. she was the sole reason i returned to wash u after a year abroad and a year off. i had so many ghosts of failure to face from that first year and she was the only reason i could could consider going back. she speaks truth so wisely and with the utmost care to the humanity of others.

richard--even though i didn't realize it at the time, he's the reason i needed to come back to wash u. he is one of my most influential mentors of all time. my photography professor even though at the time that title wasn't official. i can't begin to say enough here, but he gave us all so much. gave me so much in that gentle, quirky way of his. he changed the way i think about and make art.

jenn--his teaching side kick. another neglected rock star of the art school.

david--my dancing professor who radiates beauty. and i don't just mean he was attractive, though he was that too. it just emanates from his every movement. and he loved and encouraged how wacky i was in class. i cut loose in a way very few people get to see.

j--for thinking i was sexy and becoming a good friend, too. {<---and no, this isn't he "j" of my big ex j}.

caroline f--an acting friend from australia. she took me seriously when others didn't.

robert--an official art mentor and someone who has stood up for me more than most any other two people in my life combined. even if he did it silently. i have a debt to you i still want to repay.

mom--for always being there. always. always. always. as best and as lovingly as you are able.

ede--there are no words for how much you have given me.

oh my goodness and let me not forget robin lynn smith--my meisner acting teacher who's greatest compliment was a direct look in the eye and one single nod, and yet her love and support and encouragement for us was so present. so huge.

and george lewis--my first real acting teacher. what a character. what a force. i want to come back and be in a piece you direct. i have grown so much and i want to share that. thanks for that smile after closing night.

No comments: