12.29.2009

between seneca & spring

he was really sly about it--this appearance of casual movement--as he shifted from his part of the sidewalk to mine.

even so, it warned me to take a step to the right which wasn't enough as soon as he adjusted another half step toward me.

without looking at him i yielded the sidewalk entirely only to be rewarded with his arm slapped across my chest as he passed.

i pivoted in anger, fierce words swearing silently in my head and violent thoughts suggesting themselves to my fists,
and i watched in frozen indecision as he kept walking purposefully forward as though he were heading to the bank to catch it before it closed.

a few blocks later i stopped at stumptown for a suddenly absolutely necessary soy hot chocolate and mighty o donut. out of the remnants of shock i relayed the story to the barista and his friend and was given a far more satisfying rewarded of much sympathy, several gentle jokes and a free hot chocolate and donut.

faith is restored and i left feeling the world wasn't a complete pit of blackness, but there is part of me that still wants to go back and pummel the man.

No comments: